We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
All ways of being religious start from the heart and end with the heart. The restlessness of the heart leads from the misery of alienation to the joy of being together with self, with all and with God. To find meaning means discovering how all belongs together and to find one’s place in that universal belonging. When I find in my own heart that God is closer to me than I am to myself, then I have come home – “we arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” David Steindl-Rast
Judy Collins died on August 31st. Her funeral service will be next Tuesday, September 7 at 3:00 pm. Gun Johnston and Pat Thergesen will coordinate the Reception. If you can assist please contact them. Please keep Rich and the family in your prayers.
Every Sunday the Prayer Circle gathers next to the Altar at 9:55 to offer prayers for our worship and the needs of our congregation and community. You are always invited to join them when they circle around the Singing Bowl.
Homecoming Sunday is September 19th. Sunday School begins that day at 9:00 am. Also an Adult Education Hour will start at 9:00 am so that parents, grandparents and adults can engage spiritual questions. In the earliest days of the Reformation, Lutherans were accused of being ‘Free Thinkers’! Come probe, challenge and test the vitality of our faith with friends who care like you do. A variety of topics and themes will be presented throughout the year. The Education Committee welcomes your ideas and input. Make this educational opportunity part of the rhythm and flow of your faith life!
As the Fall begins so do many or our ministries and committees resume their activities. Here are several you may want to participate in:
- The St. Francis Animal Blessing and Pet Festival Committee will meet after worship this Sunday to plan for our annual Celebration on October 3rd after worship. Additional hands, ideas and energy are always appreciated. Let Chair Tom Grossman know how you can help.
- A Lector’s Workshop will be presented after worship on September 12. If you would like to learn about preparation for proclamation please join in.
- The Women’s Group will meet on Wednesday, September 15 from 10 – Noon at Peace.
- The Archives Committee will meet on Thursday, September 16 at 10 am.
- A new Tai Chi Class series begins that same Thursday evening at 7 pm.
- The Seminarian Committee will meet with Emily Weller on Wednesday, September 22 at 7:15 pm.
Please keep in your prayers: Matthew Pontious, Sheila, Randy and DeeAnn, Roberto, Paul Harms, the 7 Baha’i leaders in Iran who have received 20 years sentences, those seeking employment, and the people of Pakistan.
Karl and Grace provided us with a marvelous Eco-Haus Tour this past Sunday. The ideas they have implemented proved inspiring for all in attendance. So did the green drink.
We have a wonderful collection of pictures for our Photo Directory but not quite everyone is included. Jane Powell has agreed to One More Sunday for the Recalcitrant. Bring your best smile and see her before or after worship this Sunday.
Blessings, Pr. Steve